MetaMask is a crypto wallet specifically created for storing cryptocurrencies in offline.
You can access the software wallet via mobile app and web browser extension on both personal and mobile gadgets.
Since you can set up different passwords for the mobile app and the browser extension, it’s easy to forget it.
That’s why it’s important you should know how to change MetaMask password on these devices.
In this guide, you will learn how to change your MetaMask password on mobile app and PC web browser extension.
Additionally, you’ll also get to know how to view your Secret Recovery Phrase in MetaMask wallet on both devices.
How to change password on MetaMask
Each time you want to access your MetaMask wallet, you will need to enter your password on the security screen.
Keep in mind that MetaMask is a non-custodial cryptocurrency and token wallet.
In other words, you are the sole custodian of your crypto assets, and any data in your wallet (e.g. password, username and email address) isn’t stored in the database.
All your data is displayed at a local level – be it as a mobile app or browser extension, and it’s easy to change your password anytime.
Whenever you don’t remember your MetaMask password, you have to reset it using the Recovery Secret Phrase.
This phrase is typically a private key to your cryptocurrency wallet.
This recovery phrase is given to you when making your wallet account, and it cannot be changed while using MetaMask.
It can be up-to 12, 15, 18, 21 or 24 secret words long.
Moreover, you need a password to access your wallet private key, so it’s necessary to write it down somewhere secure and safe.
Now that you know what it takes to change password on MetaMask wallet, let me show you how to change the password on different devices.
How to change MetaMask password on PC
If you’re using the MetaMask browser extension, you cannot actually change the password in it directly.
However, you can reset it by importing your wallet from the mobile app using Secret Recovery Phrase.
When you do this on the mobile app, MetaMask gives you the option to sync your mobile app with the browser extension.
If you don’t have the mobile app at all, below is how to change your MetaMask password on your personal computer:
- Open your web browser (either; Google Chrome, Edge, Opera or Mozilla)
- Click on the MetaMask extension icon in the upper-right corner
- On the pop-up window, select the ‘Import using Secret Recovery Phrase’ option
- Type in or paste your Secret Recovery Phrase in the box
- Enter a new password (It must be at up-to 8 characters)
- Confirm the new password your entered
- Click on the ‘Import’ button.
You’ve successfully changed your MetaMask password, and that’s why it’s important to backup your Secret Recovery Phrase somewhere safe.
When you go back to your home page on the browser extension, you’ll notice that you don’t have the option to change the password.
You can only view your Secret Recovery Phrase, so these are the steps to follow:
- Click on your profile picture in the upper-right corner
- Choose ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu
- Continue to ‘Security & Privacy’ on the left sidebar
- Go to the ‘Reveal Secret Recovery Phrase’ button
If you choose to sync your mobile app and browser extension, the password you selected for the mobile app won’t be valid anymore.
Instead, the password you set up for the browser extension will be the only one you can use.
If you did not sync both MetaMask computer and mobile platforms, you can use two passwords simultaneously.
Additionally, if you can’t remember your MetaMask password, or Secret Recovery Phrase, you will not be able to access your wallet account, let alone reset your password.
How to change MetaMask password on iPhone
Below are how you would change your password in MetaMask on your iPhone iOS mobile smartphone:
- Open the MetaMask app on your iPhone
- Enter your current password
- Tap the ‘Login’ button
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Select the ‘Security & Privacy’ tab
- Tap ‘Change Password’ on the list of options
- Type in your new password
- Confirm the new password.
If you don’t see the ‘Change Password’ option, then you will have to reset your password with the Secret Recovery Phrase.
This is the same solution you’ll need to use if you can’t remember your password, so here are the you should follow as well:
- Launch the MetaMask wallet app
- Tap on the three lines in the upper-left corner
- Log-out at the bottom of the menu
- Tap ‘Import using Secret Recovery Phrase’ option under the Unlock button
- Enter your Secret Recovery Phrase
- Input your desired new password and confirm it
- Tap the ‘Import Button’.
Most of the new iPhone devices also has feature that allows you to log into MetaMask account via face ID.
However, it’s still highly recommended that you use a traditional password to avoid some of the complications that may arise.
How to change MetaMask password on Android
The process of resetting and restoring your password in MetaMask on an Android device is still similar to that of iPhone.
Follow these steps below to learn how it’s done:
- Open the wallet app on your mobile device
- Type in your current password
- Tap on the ‘Unlock’ button
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner to open sidebar menu
- Proceed to ‘Security & Privacy’ tab
- Locate and tap the ‘Change Password’ button
- Input your new password
- Confirm the password by typing it again.
However, if you can’t remember your password, or log into your account at all, below is what you should do:
- On the login page, tap the ‘Import using Secret Recovery Phrase’ option
- Type in all your Secret Recovery Phrase
- Enter your new password
- Confirm the password in the next space
- Swipe to switch on ‘Remember Me’ option
- Tap the ‘Import’ button at the bottom
If try to restoring your account with the wrong phrase, your wallet, accounts and crypto assets will be removed permanently.
What is MetaMask password?
How can I change MetaMask password on desktop computer?
After confirming the password, just click on the ‘Reset’ button, and the wallet will import your main account back again, but with the new password you entered.
Does MetaMask have username and password?
What happens if I reset MetaMask password?
It clears your Secret Recovery Phrase and your accounts from the software, so you will have to input your private keys to import your wallet again.
Will my NFT investment get lost when I reset MetaMask password?
It will only clear up the history and unwanted data, not the transactions or any of your non-fungible token assets.
How do I find MetaMask Secret Recovery Phrase?
It’s among the options you will se just above the ‘Change Password’ button in the same page.
When you succeed in changing your MetaMask password, make sure to note down password somewhere safe.
It will prevent you from going through this whole process of recovering your MetaMask account password again.
Keep in mind that your Secret Recovery Phrase is always important for resetting your MetaMask password.
Unfortunately, if you forget the secret pass-phrase, you won’t be able to change or reset your MetaMask wallet password.
Finally, it’s advisable to use a crypto VPN service, when changing your MetaMask password to avoid security risks.